Now we have three competing approaches for MCU systems:
- Native compiled C/C++, like mbed for example
- Java ME Embedded
Interesting research question is comparisong of the different programming technology approaches from following perspectives (including, but not limited to):
- Overall performance and resource consumption
- Real-time behavior
- Energy efficiency
- Connectivity w/Internet and Cloud
- Reliability and security issues
- Quality, including testing testing solutions, etc.
- Productivity of software engineering
- Ecosystem support
It's really fascinating to see that there is plenty of activity going on around embedded and MCU field. It's definitely not a dead zone.